Managing your career wisely and learning how to spot opportunities early on and steer your efforts and resources in the right direction is key to your professional, as well as personal, happiness. At any given time, you need to be “in the flow,” leading with your strengths, and tackling challenging projects that move the needle for your organization. Some people are lucky to have all three components at the same time, but for most of us it requires careful planning and strategic thinking ahead of time. We will provide you with the mindsets, tools, and materials how to get there, and help you build a resilient career blueprint that you can follow for years to come.
In helping our clients with challenging questions related to their career and education, we have been guided by the principles of authentic leadership development. In other words, we want you to anchor your moral compass around a sustainable core of values and metrics against which you judge your behavior irrespective of circumstances, uncertainty, or volatility.
Below are the four high-level career categories with sample questions we can address:
1. Career & job search:
- How do you decide what types of careers or jobs are best for you?
- How do you align your interests, motivations, and skills with the requirements of your chosen career or function?
- Are all jobs that sound “good” actually good for you?
- How do you go beyond a job posting and on the phone with the actual recruiter?
- How do you secure a warm introduction and an informational interview?
- When and how do you leverage your social network and friends?
- How do you price yourself?
2. Success on the Job & career management:
- Are you fully utilizing your colleagues and the resources around you? Are you fully utilized yourself (that is, of help to others)?
- How do you speak up constructively and have your voice heard regardless of the audience?
- How do you design your own promotion vs. wait to (maybe? someday?) get promoted?
- Are you aligned with the greatest needs of your organization? Are you delivering the highest impact?
- How do you fit your personal needs, career goals, and lifestyle to your current job (assuming it’s not the ideal job yet)?
- What does it takes to prepare for a career switch?
- How can you leverage your current employer and colleagues in achieving a switch?
- What resources can you leverage to gain knowledge and confidence in your new industry, job, or function?
- What are the pros and cons of switching and associated opportunity costs?
- How do you price up the move?
3. Underdogs & unpolished diamonds:
- How do you get the best education and a dream job without having to resort to rich parents?
- What does it take to succeed on your own?
- How do you measure success?
- How do you shatter stereotypes in a stereotype-lush, “80/20” professional world?
- How do you capture people’s attention as an outsider and get them to listen to you?
4. Networking & industry association:
- Do you network regularly, only when you need a job, or not at all?
- What makes some people “employees” and others “professionals”?
- Do you rely on people or do people rely on you?
- How do you get into the professional organizations that are of interest to you and make them work for you?
- “Making friends with the friends of my friends guarantees I would have no enemies.” What do you think?